There are total of 267,140,436 users records found.
Including Facebook user ID
Including Profile name and Phone number
The Database found by a security researcher named Bob Diachenko included user’s profile name and phone number for 267 million Facebook users.
According to the researcher, the databases were unprotected and uploaded to the hacker forum.
According to Comparitech partnered with security researcher Bob Diachenko to uncover the Elasticsearch cluster.
Diachenko immediately notified the internet service provider managing the IP address of the server so that access could be removed. However, Diachenko says the data was also posted to a hacker forum as a download.
The database was exposed for nearly two weeks before access was removed.
Database Exposure Timeline:
- December 4 – The database was first indexed.
- December 12 – The data was posted as a download on a hacker forum.
- December 14 – Diachenko discovered the database and immediately sent an abuse report to the ISP managing the IP address of the server.
- December 19 – The database is now unavailable.
The database is no longer available, but it doesn’t mean that the leaked data wasn’t copied elsewhere.
How To secure your Facebook account
- Open your Facebook account
- Go to Settings
- Click on Privacy
- Set relevant fields to Friends or Only Me
- Set “Do you want search engines outside of Facebook to link to your profile” to NO
It will help to protect your profile from advertisers or third parties companies.
- Don’t use your Facebook password similar to your any other account
- Never share your password. Always Create Unique password
- Change your password regularly.
- Use Facebook extra security features like 2 Factor authentication
- Log out Facebook when you use other computers
- Do not use Public Wi-Fi
- Do not click unknown link on your Computer or App
It is not the first time that the Facebook database has leaked.
In April 2019, 540 million Facebook records found by Upguard security researchers.
In September 2019, we have reported 419 million Facebook user’s database had leaked. Including 133 million records on U.S.-based Facebook users, 18 million records of users in the U.K, and another with more than 50 million records on users in Vietnam.
In October 2018, 30 Million Facebook Users Account Hacked officially, including User’s Personal Info, Email Address, Phone Number, and Location exposed.