uTorrent IPFilter Updater – To keep the list of blocked IP addresses up-to-date.
IP Filter lists for uTorrent from a selected mirror, developed by David Moore.
IP Filter lists for use in Bit Torrent clients.
- Provides choice of list providers
- Automatically decompresses lists that are in Gzip or Zip format
- Can automatically schedule itself to update the list silently
- Microsoft Windows XP+
- .NET Framework 4 or greater
- For troubleshooting, a basic log is written to ipfilter.log
- Downloaded list(s) are now sorted and merged to make the list smaller, more compact and faster to load by P2P clients
- Applications receive their own copy of the ipfilter.dat, formatted to each application’s preferred format
- Now installing to \AppData\Local\Programs\IPFilter (instead of AppData\Local\IPFilter) to follow the established convention for per-user applications
- The cached ipfilter.dat will now be stored in \AppData\Local\Programs\IPFilter\ipfilter.dat
What is IPFilter Updater?
It’s a small Windows application that will download and update an ipfilter list for use in Bit Torrent clients.
What Bit Torrent clients are supported?
Currently uTorrent, BitTorrent and qBittorrent are supported out of the box, but you can also configure other applications to pick up the downloaded list.
What is an ipfilter?
An ipfilter list is a simple (but usually very large) list of addresses and ranges of malicious peers that will transmit junk data (i.e. anti-P2P) or peers that may be intrusive on your net privacy.
Why do I need an ipfilter?
For privacy and more reliable peers
Why do I need IPFilter Updater?
It will make it easier to download a list, and keep it up to date
Where does the list come from?
Developer said that, he is not maintain any of the lists and try to keep a variety of third party list options available, but the availability and quality of free, up to date lists seems to be dwindling.
Where does the filter get downloaded to?
The ipfilter.dat is downloaded to your local user profile in a directory called IPFilter i.e. %LocalAppData%\IPFilter\ipfilter.dat
For example, if your username is Bob and you were on Windows 7 or higher, then the location by default would resolve to C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\IPFilter\ipfilter.dat