HASHCAT Released New Advanced Password Cracking Utility Version 6.0.0
HashCat is World’s fastest and most advanced password recovery software.
Hashcat supporting five unique modes of attack for over 300 highly-optimized hashing algorithms. Hashcat currently supports CPUs, GPUs, and other hardware accelerators on Linux, Windows, and macOS, and has facilities to help enable distributed password cracking.
The new major features of Hashcat 6.0.0:
- New plugin interface – for modular hash-modes
- New compute-backend API interface – for adding compute APIs other than OpenCL
- CUDA added as a new compute-backend API
- Comprehensive plugin developer guide
- GPU Emulation mode – for using kernel code on the host CPU
- Better GPU memory and thread management
- Improved auto-tuning based on available resources
Download the latest release and unpack it in the desired location. Please remember to use 7z x when unpacking the archive from the command line to ensure full file paths remain intact.
How do I install hashcat?
There is no need to really install hashcat or hashcat legacy (CPU only version). You only need to extract the archive you have downloaded.
Please note, your GPU must be supported and the driver must be correctly installed to use this software.
If your operating system or linux distribution does have some pre-build installation package for hashcat, you may be able to install it using those facilities. For example, you can use the following under Kali Linux:
$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install hashcat
and update it with:
$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Even if this is supported by some distributions, we do not directly support this here since it depends on the package maintainers to update the packages, install the correct dependencies (some packages may add wrappers, etc), and use reasonable paths.
In case something isn’t working with the packages you download via your package manager, we encourage you to just download the hashcat archive directly, enter the folder, and run hashcat. This is the preferred and only supported method to “install” hashcat.
GPU Driver requirements:
- AMD GPUs on Linux require “RadeonOpenCompute (ROCm)” Software Platform (3.1 or later)
- AMD GPUs on Windows require “AMD Radeon Adrenalin 2020 Edition” (20.2.2 or later)
- Intel CPUs require “OpenCL Runtime for Intel Core and Intel Xeon Processors” (16.1.1 or later)
- NVIDIA GPUs require “NVIDIA Driver” (440.64 or later) and “CUDA Toolkit” (9.0 or later)
- World’s fastest password cracker
- World’s first and only in-kernel rule engine
- Open-Source (MIT License)
- Multi-OS (Linux, Windows and macOS)
- Multi-Platform (CPU, GPU, APU, etc., everything that comes with an OpenCL runtime)
Multi-Hash (Cracking multiple hashes at the same time)
- Multi-Devices (Utilizing multiple devices in same system)
- Multi-Device-Types (Utilizing mixed device types in same system)
- Supports password candidate brain functionality
- Supports distributed cracking networks (using overlay)
- Supports interactive pause / resume
- Supports sessions
- Supports restore
- Supports reading password candidates from file and stdin
Supports hex-salt and hex-charset
- Supports automatic performance tuning
- Supports automatic keyspace ordering markov-chains
- Built-in benchmarking system
- Integrated thermal watchdog
- 300+ Hash-types implemented with performance in mind
- … and much more
- Hybrid dict + mask
- Hybrid mask + dict
- accept Rules
Check Generic Hash Types here
Check Hashcat commands here
Check Hashcat FAQ here