Are You Using Yahoo Mail Then Your Email content Can Easily Sell To Advertisers?
Yahoo! is one of the Top Company in an Email Service Provider. But there is no Privacy.
Yahoo and AOL is scanning your Email in order to sell the data for Advertisers. It means all users are affected in privacy issue.
According to Wall street Journal (WSJ), the Yahoo parents company, Oath claimed that its only scan promotional emails and suggest that the free email would always come with some associated costs. In the report says that Yahoo scans around 200 million email inboxes in a month. Whereas, AOL scans Business email inbox to serve Ads.
Oath is a subsidiary of Verizon Communications that serves as the umbrella company of its digital content subdivisions, including AOL and Yahoo!. Verizon acquired AOL on June 23, 2015 and Yahoo!’s operating business on June 13, 2017. Following the completion of the Yahoo! purchase, despite merging into Oath, AOL and Yahoo! maintain their respective brands.
Yahoo bought by Verizon communication Inc for 3.38 Billion pounds. But Verizon cut the price by $350 Million after 2013 and 2014 data breaches were revealed.
Oath statement as follow:
“Oath may use device Ids, cookies and other signals, including information obtained from third parties, to associate accounts and or devices with you.
Oath analyzes and stores all communications content, including email content from the incoming and outgoing mail. This allows us to deliver, personalize and develop relevant features, content, advertising and services.
“We may share aggregated or pseudonymous information (including demographic information) with partners, such as publishers, advertisers, measurement analytics, apps, or other companies. We do not share information that personally identifies you (personal identifiable information is information like name or email address) with these partners, such as publishers, advertisers, measurement analytics, apps, or other companies.”
Oath Clear specify in their policy note
- When you use our Services to communicate with others or post, upload or store content (such as comments, photos, voice inputs, videos, emails, messaging services and attachments).
- Oath analyzes and stores all communications content, including email content from incoming and outgoing mail. This allows us to deliver, personalize and develop relevant features, content, advertising and Services.
- When you otherwise use our Services, such as title queries, watch history, page views, search queries, view the content we make available or install any Oath software such as plugins.
- When you sign up for paid Services, use Services that require your financial information or complete transactions with us or our business partners, we may collect your payment and billing information.
Yahoo also conducts Email scanning on its premium mail platform, which is charged to users $3.50 as per month.
Gmail announced in 2017, that it had turned off its own controversial monitoring of Gmail, the Consumer Gmail content will not be used or scanned for any ad personalization after this change.
Flashback Yahoo Hacks
- In October 2016, Yahoo unveiled that a billion accounts were compromised by data breach in August 2013.
- On 22 September Yahoo admitted that 500 million accounts compromised in a different cyber attack in 2014
- On Which user account information was stolen and may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (using MD5) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers.